Rok | MARGARET RIVER
I am a HUGE Kombucha fan and an even bigger fan of locally-made kombucha.
Rok from Margaret River is the bomb.
They have 3 flavours...rok classic rok berry beats and rok ginger pop.
I've tried all 3 and I love them all but being a ginger addict, the POP is definitely my fave.
What is Kombucha?
Essentially it’s a fermented tea-based beverage that uses a SCOBY (Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria and Yeast), or “mother” (creepy right?! Just me?) as a starter culture to produce a probiotic and gut-healing beverage.
Health benefits of kombucha...
Kombucha is an adaptogen, which means it brings the body back into balance so that it can heal itself, rather than focusing on one particular ailment or organ.
It’s good for your gut:
1. Kombucha contains naturally fermenting probiotics that help maintain healthy gut flora by increasing the number of beneficial organisms.
2. It preserves nutrients and breaks them down into an easily digestible form, which allows you to absorb them better.
3. It enhances the absorption of minerals, particularly calcium, iron, zinc, magnesium, phosphorous and copper.
4. Healthy gut flora improves digestion, fights candida overgrowth, improves mental clarity and stabilizes moods.
5. A healthy gut can also be attributed to reducing or eliminating depression an anxiety.
6. Kombucha contains numerous strains of yeasts and up to 20 different bacterial species (and possibly many more!).
It detoxifies the body:
7. The enzymes and bacterial acids in kombucha ease the burden on the liver by reducing pancreatic load.
8. Kombucha contains glucuronic acid, which binds to toxins and increases their excretion through the kidney or intestines.
9. In 1951, a popular Russian study found that the daily consumption of kombucha was correlated with an extremely high resistance to cancer.
10. It contains vitamin C, a potent detoxifier.
It supports the nervous system:
11. Kombucha contains vitamin B, which has been associated with reducing blood pressure and supporting the nervous system.
It’s anti-ageing and supports the joints:
12. Kombucha contains glucosamines, which are vital for the treatment and prevention of arthritis.
13. Kombucha allegedly eliminates grey hair, increases sex drive and improves eyesight.
14. Kombucha concentrates the antioxidants found in tea. Antioxidants not only fight the environmental toxins known as free radicals, which contribute to illness and disease, but help slow the aging process.
15. Theoretically, powerful antioxidant nutrients can prevent and lessen wrinkles by promoting skin elasticity.
16. Kombucha is anti-microbial due to it’s acetic and organic acids, proteins, enzymes and bacteriocins. It exerts anti-microbial activity against pathogenic bacteria like E coli and Salmonella. Incidentally, green tea kombucha has a high anti-microbial effect than when made with black tea.
It decreases sugar cravings.
Black Sheep Deli
56a Bussell Highway
Margaret River Bakery
89 Bussell Hwy
The Brew Shack
124 Bussell Hwy
The Shed Markets
Corner of Bussell Highway and Caves Road
The Hairy Marron
69 Bussel Highway
Merchant & Maker
Dunn Bay Road